Thursday, February 5, 2009

The Science Nerd

Everyone in my family now calls me "the Science Nerd" because I have fallen in love with science! When I was in school as a youth, I hated science and never tried to get into it. Now that I'm back taking all these science classes ... I can't help myself from sharing what I've learned! Chelsea will say "oh great ... here she goes again on one of her psychological trips"!
I'm taking a Nutrition course this semester. We recently discussed that the FDA approved irradiation of lettuce and spinach. This form of radiation is being done to eliminate salmonella risks in these foods. (Click here to see the full article) The interesting part is that this has been done to meats since 1997. These foods are labeled, but I imagine the general public had no idea this was going on. I kinda like to know these things, so ... you can sign up for email updates on these types of approvals. www.fda.gov/consumer/consumerenews.html This way you can make more educated decisions for your family as a consumer! Have a great day!

No comments: